Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Scott Teske's injury

Powerzone regular Scott Teske - most Powerzone members probably know him, since he plays on a men's club team, is a regular at open gyms, plays in the men's and coed leagues, and coaches in the Allegro local program - fractured one of his vertebrae during a trip to Greece.

Scott fractured the C1 vertebrae in three spots, and will be in rehab for the next six-to-nine months. He's at home with his parents in Tabernacle now.

"I'm actually pretty lucky, 80-90 percent of the people who fracture that vertebrae end up with some paralysis, like Christopher Reeve,'' Teske said. "I don't have any. I can eat, walk, go to the bathroom, and talk. I'm able to get around on my own.''

To allow the bone to heal, Scott has to wear a halo that is attached to his to his skull in four places, and also attaches to a vest that he wears.

"It's like a body cast, but it's pretty comfortable,'' he said. "I've been improving every day.''

Scott said he'd be very happy to hear from everyone via email (steske@earthlink.net). His address is 7 Moore Road West, Tabernacle, NJ, 08088. He's also publishing a blog on the web detailing his recovery (http://www.sjtdesigns.com/wordpress/).

"I'm going to be bored out of my mind for the next six months, so if anyone wanted to shoot me an email I'd be glad to hear from them,'' Scott said. "I appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers - I'm not the most religious person, but someone upstairs was obviously looking out for me.''

No comments: